Quality Assurance (Field & Tab)
International Field & Tab is Pakistan’s only ISO Certified Data Management company which complies withICC/ESOMAR International Code of Marketing and Social Research Practice.
Following are the steps that we take to ensure quality of fieldwork:
Project Setup Phase
- IFT assign one dedicated project manager and one field assistant to every project commissioned. IFT provide project manager’s contact detail to client with 24/7 availability and accessibility.
- It is mandatory for IFT project managers/ field assistants to attend client’s briefing.
- All the questionnaire translations are done and twice verified by experienced translators before sending it to client.
- For special cases of data entry. e.g. if data need to be entered into a client based computer program. In these types of projects IFT asks clients to send data entry file/program in advance so that translated version’s consistency can be verified with data entry file/program.
- IFT provides a final copy of translated questionnaire, show cards/stimulus material to client before start of fieldwork.
- It is mandatory for IFT project managers to conduct at least 4-5 pre-tests before launch of every project/ or under client’s requirement.
Field Work Phase
All the helping material/stimulus material & field briefing notes etc. are translated into Urdu (local national language). All the translations done at IFT are verified twice.
For smooth field execution IFT project mangers prepare briefing notes for field team. All the instructions are prepared into Urdu (local national language)
It is mandatory for every fieldworker/interviewer/enumerator & supervisor to attend the field briefingsconducted by IFT.
Briefing/Training of Interviewers
This includes class room training and question to question review. We brief our enumerators on probing and probing skills. We explain Do’s and Don’t s of Interviewing to enumerators and their Supervisors.
After the briefing has been completed all the field workers conduct mock calls under the direct supervision of a Trainer or Project Manager. This ensures that the field workers have properly understood the field instructions and can handle various interviewing problems during the interview (in the field). After completion of mock calls, a debriefing session is arranged to address the problems faced by the interviewers and to suggest respective solutions.
The staff (interviewers’) training is followed by the actual field interviews. The first ten filled questionnaires of every interviewer are thoroughly checked by their supervisor to ensure that the interviewer is performing well. In case the interview does not fulfill the requirements, the respective interviewer is not assigned further tasks in this regard.
Field Edit or Intake Edit
In accordance with the standards, at least 30-40% interviews of each interviewer are visually checked by the supervisor before handing them over to Data Coding/Entry department. This is followed by the identification of problems or any missing information during field edit which are then explained to the interviewer in charge. Further, he/she is instructed to rectify them either through telephone or by revisiting the respondent for clarification and re-asking the missing questions consequently.
- At IFT we train our teams on:
- Selection of Area
- Selection of Household
- Selection of Respondent
- Interviewing Techniques
- Dos and Don’ts of Interviewing
- Project manager/ field assistant is responsible for the briefings.
- In field briefings/ trainings, field teams are trained on questionnaire, logic and methodology of questionnaire & accurate recording of responses.
- IFT project managers deeply monitor the fieldwork of project and provide regular fieldwork updates to client. During project execution at least two progress reports per week are provided to client (or according to client’s requirements).
- IFT provides fieldwork progress reports, total number of interviews completed, city wise interviews completed, quota achieved & incidence rate etc. Status reports may also be provided using client’s template if required.
- Normally no interviewer can complete more than 15 % of interviews at its respective city.
- Interviewer ID with their respective respondent ID list may be provided to client on request for quality assurance purposes.
- Each interview/call is allocated a unique ID number that can be traced from data whatever data format it is (SPSS or ASCII etc.)
Data validations/verifications Phase
Validation back checks (face to face)
Since most of our work is done in face to face mode. Please herewith our approach on F2F mode.
- At IFT a minimum 20% of all completed work per field city is verified.
- IFT apply a systematic method to ensure random and representative sample verification for each of interviewer.
- At least 10% of each interviewer calls are verified using F2F/ onsite/ telephonic method.
- In case more than 10% of the interviews of a certain interviewer/ supervisor are inconclusive or rejected, all the interviews submitted by that interviewer/ supervisors will be verified.
- In the event more than 30% interviews of any interviewer/supervisor rejected during verification/validation. All the interviews of that interviewer will be removed from the project and will be rejected.
- IFT can provide data into batches if required by client.
- Approximately 30-40 % of total field work is visually checked by IFT team.
Data entry validation
- At IFT a minimum 10% of all interviews entered are validated by double punching of data of every key punch operator.
- Only less than 3% deviation of every key punch operator is tolerated, in case more than 3% deviation all the data is re-entered for specific key punch operator.
- Unique ID numbers are allotted to each interview. That ID numbers are used during monitoring, verification and data entry stage.
- All translation for open ended is verified twice before delivering to client.
- Only project manager can assign new codes for other specifies/open ends if required.
- We can provide methods report to client on request. Methods report consist of:
- Study description: It consists of project Methodology, sampling technique, sample design, quotas to achieve, time lines etc. It includes…
- summary of briefing: who is the trainer, who all attended the trainings, where trainings are held, mode of trainings, issues emphasizes during trainings, and how issues have been rectified etc.
- profile of field force with their experience and list of interviewer ID number.
- field control: as why certain interviews being rejected or terminated.This detail contains information on no. of interviews being rejected and reason of rejected interviews.
- quality control methods incorporated for the project.
- quality control percentages of interviews at field level/supervisor level/management level, results of quality control.
- problems encountered during fieldwork. May also contain any special event and abnormal situation (like earthquake, floods, riots, strikes and political unrest etc.)
As a part of our QA plan at the end of each year, our process is audited by an external auditor on random check basis.